Army Recruit Seeking Advice
Create Post

Exclamation Army Recruit Seeking Advice

Hey there Marines. It's probably not everyday you get an Army "wannabe" asking yall for advice, but I'm short on time and the goarmy.com's ask a soldier forums are fairly dead.

My MOS is 11x Infantry and I'm waiting to ship out to OSUT soon. To help get ready for this I started going all out on my workout routine. This included the dreaded push up. It would appear that in my push up crazed madness I acquired a very annoying overuse injury. I'm suffering now from ulnar nerve compression in my dominant arm. As it stands I'm able to reach a decent amount of push ups before the arm pain starts to creep in; however, my pinky finger starts to tingle and go numb almost instantly. I've been resting for around 4 days and I'm hoping my symptoms will go away.

I've heard this injury is fairly common among amature athletes but I can't seem to find any workouts that would offer the same benefit as push ups without the impact it would place on the nerve. And the only treatment options I've found are rest or surgery.

Have any of you had to deal with such an injury? Any advice you could give?

I'm 100% sure this issue will crop up again at OSUT and I'm not sure whether I should ignore it or go to sick hall. If I ignore it and graduate I risk permanent nerve damage, if I head to sick hall I risk a medical discharge.

Hope yall can help me out.

Stay safe Marines.